The term ‘superfood’ is commonly heard these days when food and nutrition are discussed. And, when there is talk of superfoods, moringa, wheatgrass, alfalfa, and spirulina instantly top the list.
So what are superfoods? And why have they become so popular? Let us find out.
What Are Superfoods?
A rich source of green vitamins and a host of other potent nutrients, superfoods are a class apart when it comes to delivering these nutrients to the body. They are known by this name because they can give you a high concentration of vital nutrients in each serving, making them the most reliable sources. In fewer words, they have a high nutrition density per serving.
There are many plant and animal-based foods that are considered superfoods. Here are the top favourites because of their ability to give you faster results:
Native to India, this tree is also known as ‘The Miracle Tree’ for the following reasons:
- Moringa is packed with Vitamin C and other antioxidants along with beta-carotene, iron, magnesium, and potassium.
- It is known for its potent antifungal, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits.
- It is commonly used as a cure for anemia and arthritis.
Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that is best known for the following:
- Just one tablespoon of spirulina gives you 4g of protein.
- It also contains B vitamins, copper and magnesium.
- The highlight of this superfood is a plant compound called phycocyanin that gives it antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
It is derived from the plant Triticum aestivum and is one of the most easily available superfoods that give you a host of benefits:
- It’s high chlorophyll level gives you immense metabolic, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- It is also one of the only plant based food sources that contains 17 amino acids along with minerals like calcium, iron and several phytochemicals
- Wheatgrass is considered a complete food because of its nutritional value.
Alfalfa was initially used as fodder for cattle before the following health benefits classified it as a superfood:
- It is a rich source of Vitamin A, C, E and K4 along with calcium, iron, potassium and phosphorus.
- Consuming alfalfa is known to boost the production of breast milk.
- It is also used as a cure for asthma, arthritis, high cholesterol and urinary tract infections.
Benefits of Superfoods
Every superfood like Moringa mentioned above has its own advantage. But overall, they give you some important metabolic and physiological benefits:
- Powerful immunity: Superfoods are the best sources of micronutrients like vitamins and minerals along with potent antioxidants. These nutrients protect the cells of the immune system and also boost their production.
- Reduced oxidative stress: In addition to antioxidant nutrients like Vitamin C, these superfoods also contain compounds like flavonoids that are potent in neutralizing and free radicals in the body.
- Balanced hormone levels: Having a nutrient-rich diet is the best way to keep your endocrine system functioning optimally. Superfoods are highly recommended, especially if you are suffering from conditions like hyperthyroidism, as they help balance the levels of these hormones quite effectively.
- Improved organ health: The nutrients in superfoods detoxify the organs, protect the cells from free radical damage and even boost enzyme production for optimal function. Consuming superfoods protects your organs from any age-related damage as well.
- Higher energy levels: These nutrient-dense superfoods ensure that you do not have any gaps in your diet. This not only helps prevent any nutritional deficiencies but also keeps you feeling energetic.
Products like bGREEN Superfoods and Fruit Multivitamins are the easiest way to incorporate a variety of superfoods into your diet. These specially and scientifically developed formulas give you the best benefits of each superfood. Of course, they are easy to consume, helping you get a nutrition boost on the go.